Saturday, December 7, 2013

past

I was a proud man,
a man of many stars.
I knew of my birth
and its relation
to the constellations.
I knew of hate
and war
and greed
and primal summers
beneath shade trees,
overlapping sitting stones
in livid grass.
I knew of
the hunt
 and of the kill.
I knew of
survival
and reckless abandon.
Mountains ushered in the dawning day
and the brilliance
which it satisfies
its need to be seen.
It is cold
without the
blistering summer
heat.
Of grinding emotion
and blissful reproach,
this life at its fullest.
I welcome it.
I welcome it all.
Nero spoke to me in rhyme
and timid rhythm;
she spoke of our chores
in the midday sun
and what it meant to be alive.
“This is our duty to preserve,”
Nero said.
“But what is its value?”
I asked.
“It is something that
we are bound
to collect,”
 she said. “It is of our past
and it should be relished.”
“The symbols inside,
I can’t understand them,
and neither can you.
They do not make sense,”
I replied. “We should
leave it here.
There are more
important things
to discover.”
We looked up
through the canopy of trees,
past the sun
to the broken glass
and beyond
to the rich soil
above our heads.
This place
has been buried
for time untold.
It has welcomed the earth
in the same way
my people
used to receive it
with their lifeless bodies
and solemn traditions.
But the old ones are gone now
and we can make
our own future,
our own traditions,
and our own way.
Even with the animals chattering
and the water running off
from the falls above
and the babbling brook
to our side,
this place is quiet
and remorseful.
It cries silently
of the way things
used to be.
It moans
in silence
at its past.
The books are everywhere
behind glass cases.
We know what they meant,
we know they contain stories,
but are unacquainted with their words
and symbols.
Those traditions
have died away
with our ancestors.
We have our own language now,
our own symbols.
“We must take some of them back with us,” Nero pleads with me.
“They are too heavy.”
“Then we will come back with
some of the others
and they will help us.”
“The symbols
have no
meaning
for us
now,” I replied “Their worth
died away
with the last of the dead.”
I know what she wants.
She wants the books as a prize.
She wants to show them to the others.
She wants their favor.
“No,” I said,
“I will not carry them
for you and your accolades.
And I will not tell the others
to help you either.”
She was angry with my words.
I could see the redness
in her cheeks
and the tightness
in her jaw.
“Nero,
you must understand,
the old ones are all gone now.
We must make our own path.
We will remember
what we have been taught,
we will hand it down to the young,
but as for that
which the old ones disregarded,
we shall disregard too.”
“Kite,” she flashed a stare at me, “you are strong.
You are wise
beyond your years.
And you are our leader,
but there is something
in these books
that the old ones didn’t want
us to know.
In these symbols
are their mistakes,
their transgressions,
and their failures.
We must know what they are
if we are to not make
the same mistakes.”
She never calls me by my name
unless she is angry.
I do not like hearing it.
The old ones gave me the name
and said it meant flying.
They called me this when I was young
and it stuck.
When I passed the tests
and became a man,
they called me by
the same name
I was known as a child.
The name is not my own,
but a concoction of
the old ones
because I fly
in my own mind.
“I deem it unnecessary.
The past is of failure
and needless.
We will go on without it.”
Nero turned on her heels
and began to climb the rope
which led us
here.
It swayed from her weight,
but she is good at climbing
and made her way up
without incident.
In one of the glass cases,
I saw a small book with
flowers printed
on the cover.
I took it
and placed it
in my pack.
It will make her happy
that I kept one.
Nero was
up and away
before I ever got to the rope.
I lifted myself up with ease
and rolled up the rope into a long loop
and placed it over my shoulder
after I hoisted myself
over the broken out ceiling.
The jungle was loud.
Creatures of every sort
made themselves known
in the dense treetops.
Their cries
were for the man and woman
who crossed their path.
This is our America,
our freedom.
We are to let it reign
 for the old ones have told us to.
I call this land Earth.
I call it this for the soil beneath our feet.
I call it this because
the old ones
would have hated it
if we were to ever forget
America.

No comments:

Post a Comment