Saturday, December 7, 2013

for her, this is

The tiresome walk down to the tunnel,
the heavy lumbering in my feet,
the way my eyes drifted from
one side of the stairs
to the other as if
I were looking for something
that wasn’t there.
These are the moments
right before you’re about to
sleep the sleep
of gods
when no one believes
in them
anymore.
 I could hear the traffic
overhead on the street.
Horns blasted out
righteousness
at every corner.
No one
is more important
than the person
behind the person
who is belting out blasts
from an electronic horn,
prompting everyone within earshot
that he has somewhere to go;
somewhere very important.
The deeper I ascended into the subway,
the quieter the horns became.
A new sound erupted,
a sound of fierce expectation
and lustful reserve.
These new noises
gathered into a continual voice
proclaiming its need
to move forward,
to get beyond the bustle,
to break free of all
the other voices
that clamored for freedom
of one another.
Men and women in suits
flirted
with expectant glances,
wanting nothing more
 than to move on
and get away.
They smile sometimes,
they nod at other times.
They are graceful
and courteous
when time permits.
But there’s no mistake:
they want out.
I was groggy,
but level headed
as I shuffled along
behind them,
bumping into some
while sidestepping others.
It’s like a dance
from which
we can never
break:
a waltz of retribution,
 confusion,
and teenage angst.
I’ve been awake for too long.
I’ve been pushing my way
through
for what seems like eternity.
I have bags under my eyes
and a slur to my step.
My mouth is dry
and my lips are chapped
from too much whisky.
I continued through
 and made my way to
the lines
for the train.
I waited for the
shake and hustle
in the subway
along the last track
out of Penn Station.
The smell of urine
was heavy in the air
and I could have sworn
that everyone was staring
at me.
Even the slightest sound
made my heart
jump.
 I cocked my head
over my shoulder
and peered out
behind me
to make sure
I was relatively safe.
No one is ever safe in the subway,
and no one ever
admitted that
unless they were sure
they wanted to die.
I didn’t want to die
so I kept my opinions
to myself.
Along the walkway,
the tiles trembled from the vibrations
that seemed forever away.
This is the most desperate moment
while waiting.
This is the time where time,
itself
seems to stop,
flutter backwards,
and continue for a few more seconds
before it dips back into oblivion.
It had occurred to me that this is,
indeed what it must be like
to wait for your final breath.
The trains never stop in New York.
They just keep going
whether there’s anyone on them
or not.
They don’t care for passengers
and the passengers don’t care for the trains. Everyone likes it that way
and so it has never changed.
I fiddled in my pockets
with a candy wrapper.
An indefinable need
surged up
within me that
that wrapper contained
something,
even the tiniest bit
of sweetness within its glistening,
crunchy
exterior,
but no such luck was to be had.
I planned to get something
to eat
when I got out of the subway,
but the way things were going,
I might have died in there
that morning.
Maybe,
some years after,
my body
would be found mummified
along with all of the others
who had succumbed
to subway fatigue.
I could hear
the screech
of the breaking train,
turning to a whistle
that made my knees weak.
Anxious bodies adjusted in line,
turning this way and that
to the promise of an uncomfortable seat
and the smell of tired feet.
I glanced to the woman at my left and she smiled in return.
The edge of her mouth
curled
upward
and her eyes narrowed
before she looked away
in an awkward way
that made me feel like a kid again.
There was no telling
what might have been going on
in her mind
at that moment,
no way to justify my next move.
Her hair was in a neat bun
on the back of her head,
poking upward like an antenna
toward the heavens
above the tons of concrete
that loomed overhead.
Her suit was neatly pressed
and the color contrasted
perfectly with the
brown of her skin.
I imagined her black hair,
straight and dark like
India ink
cascading over her taut breasts,
wavering down to her waist
and gently settling
above her ass.
When the doors opened
with a simple whoosh,
she walked onto the train
with purpose,
with an assured step,
commanding note
from all
who
may
have
looked
her
way.
We entered the train
through separate doors
at the same time,
giving me a chance
to look at her again.
Our eyes met
for a brief flash
and I smiled,
looked at her,
took in the shape of her body,
and turned away to take my seat.
She did the same.
Two transitory souls
separated
by a set of
fiberglass seats,
fiddling with their hands
as to not draw attention
to the fact
that they’re thinking
the same thing at the same time
about the other.
I close my eyes
for a second
to take her in.
It’s a little thing I do to remember faces,
to remember the details,
the lines that make them up.
If I were a painter,
I could sketch them all,
complete with frowns
and smiles,
consistent with their history –
a history no one else should know.
I would paint their lives,
color their secrets of pain
and suffering,
of love and loss,
of happiness
and wonder.
Their landscapes
would compliment them,
add to their luster
and give them a place to be.
They would stand
in grand poses
to be remembered
for the triumph that they were.
And this is what I do for her.
This is what I do for her
and her
alone.
In this dream of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment