Wednesday, December 25, 2013

grease and cigarettes

I went to the liquor store
to get a pack of smokes
for the day's festivities.

In the parking lot
stood a guy who looked
like he was recovering from
a bender. He asked for a smoke
and I told him I didn't have one. He
mumbled something under his breath
and I went into the store to buy a pack.

On my way out he said, "Hey, give me a cigarette."
I said, "Sorry, man, I don't have a cigarette for you."
"What'd you buy in the store?" he asked.
"None of your fucking business," I replied.
"Lookin' like Jesus and you won't give me a cigarette."
( I assume he meant my beard )
"I've got an idea, why don't you stop doing the shit you're
doing, clean yourself up a bit and get a fucking job instead
of beggin' on the street?"
"Fuck you, man."
"You first."

I walked the rest of the way home wondering why
people can't figure out their own misfortune.
Why is it necessary to get hot at someone
for not giving you a handout, demanding a handout
rather than simply asking for help.

I would have at least thought about giving him a smoke
if he'd asked nicely. If he had humbled himself a little
rather than pulling some alpha male bullshit I knew he couldn't
deliver on. Where there is venom, there was a bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment