Saturday, December 7, 2013

gone restaurant gone

A drunk fell in the alley
across the street.
He laughed
and rolled over
and pushed himself up
and leaned against a dumpster.
Small,
yellow tiles
with
red tiles
every few feet,
up and down the wall
with dirty grout filling the spaces
in between.
The smell of tortillas
in the air,
lingering with meat
and vegetables
and thick,
wild sauces.
She was there under it all,
sitting at a table in the back.
She smiled too often,
let her eyes glance
in my direction
too often,
and played with
the rim of her cup
too often.
I felt her eyes dance about me,
trying not to look too direct,
trying not to attract too much
attention to herself.
I couldn’t resist.
Her eyes caught me,
took me by surprise,
and trapped me in their stare.
I shouldn’t have been there.
It was a cheap day
and the weather was wet.
The ground was mud
and my day was short
so I stopped to grab a bite to eat
off University Avenue,
just short of downtown.
It was the last place
I should have been.
Those eyes crept up on me,
gave me a reason
and I stayed.
Out back,
a couple was arguing
in Spanish.
The tone was there,
the emotions high,
the body language
expressing more
than they would have
wanted to share.
The waitress
brought my food
and lent me a smile
that made her eyebrows rise
and her lips perk up
in the shine of the yellow room.
I nodded and looked back
at the woman across the restaurant.
She glanced back,
her lower lip twitched,
and she tried to lick away
the response.
I took the first bite of my food
and the heat took me.
There was a comfortable sting
beneath the spice,
and I took a sip of my drink.
She looked again,
this time it was more obvious.
A lock of hair fell into her face,
obstructing
her eyes. I smiled. Her lips
curled slightly
and the flash was gone.
I tried another bite
and she looked away,
out through the window
at the city
bus that stopped in front
of the restaurant.
Half a dozen people emerged,
spreading out once they hit the sidewalk.
A horn blasted at the corner
and the streetlight flashed red
at the opposing corner
and the bus was free to go.
I looked back and the woman was gone.
I scanned outside
by the outdoor
tables,
but she wasn’t there.
A variety of people
were eating outside in the sun,
leisurely scooping up forkfuls
of food in between conversations.
I was shaken.
Where could she have gone so quickly?
I stood
and moved out through the back.
Had she passed me without notice?
There was no one in the back
and the parking lot was
one fewer car.
“Did you lose something?”
the waitress asked over my shoulder.
“The woman that was
sitting
by
the
window,
where did she go?”
“I’m sorry sir,
but there was no woman sitting there.”
“No woman?!
But I saw her.
She was there just a minute ago.”
“Sorry,
there was no woman.
Do you need a refill?”
she asked.
“No,” I replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment