Sunday, December 1, 2013

fire for love

There was a growing hatred
in my heart,
fed by the years of waste
which I have lived.
Great, cancerous,
and bellowing out its
steam through bones that never were.
If I close my lips tightly,
I can taste its piss in my mouth.
If I cared too much, I would surely wither and die.
The smiles in the wasteland are luscious and leering,
washing away this nursing hurt.
Disgusted,
I sat alone and tried to glare at the
world through the windows
in my head.
I was so small,
so bent and troubled that the
meanings behind the images
were lost on me.
If I’ve seen a dove,
I want it to fly away.
If I’ve seen a flower,
I couldn’t bring myself
to take
its scent
into my
throbbing head.
In this place,
my mind was a geyser,
vomiting forth the frail fear
of what I once was.
I was so small,
a tiny thing made of broken pieces.
These crumbling reminders
couldn’t be mended,
they couldn’t be healed by time,
and they couldn’t find their way back home.
Maybe I should have given up.
Maybe that was what
eternity was trying
to tell me.
I wanted to fuck it all away.
I wanted the world to stop turning
so I could see the destitute faces leering at the sun,
waiting for it to burn the disease away
from sick eyes.
But no hope came,
nothing relieved me.
I was a small man with
small dreams that would
never come to true.
There in my darkness,
I was complete.
Nothing stood in my way.
I was my own god,
fierce and jealous of nothing.
The primal screams
in my head
were loose and
contemptible;
a mirror image of the
nothingness that surrounded me.
It was set free of the hate
and the hurt
and the nagging voices that
nailed me down in their
loving crucifixion.
And that’s where I died.
With every lie,
every mistruth,
every blood saturated mouthing death,
I killed away the terror at those around me,
holding tight to the nakedness in my soul.
I was devoured by myself,
never again to be the same insignificant,
throbbing
sack of skin
that trusted the unclean.
I was proper and new.
I was the beginning through the end:
a small
little nothing
with big dreams and nervous,
shaking hands.
I was a greedy,
fat child
with nothing
to lose
and nowhere to run.
I was the end.

“Where is the pain?” he asked.

“It’s in my spine,” I said. “It’s in my eyes 
and it lingers in my nightmares 
at night when I’m all alone."

 “Maybe you’re the problem. Do you always think this way?”

“Every time I get a chance,” I replied.

He smiled. “There it is then. You are the problem.  
You need to lose yourself.”

“How?” I asked.

“By forgetting who you are,” he replied. “There’s all this 
shit inside of you 
and you have to let it go. 
There’s no other way.”

“I can’t get her face out of my mind.”
I tapped the side of my head. “She’s a curse
I cannot break. I see her crying in the rain.
I see her sobbing all the time. 
It’s scraping away what’s left of me.”

“What did you do to her?” he asked.

“I broke her heart.”

“What did she ever do to you?”

“She loved me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment