Tuesday, December 3, 2013

a letter to my father

what is it like to be
oblivious to the truth
that you broke me?
this thing, this dented
shell,
this rusted relic of
a torn youth,
ragged and deformed –
this thing that no longer trusts
this thing that no longer lets them in
for fear
of being broadsided,
of being torn again.
this hopeless husk of
my former self,
knowing that you will never
understand what you did to me.
this tear stained heart,
dropping every other beat,
afraid you will find that
it still lives.
I have hated you with more emotion
than I have ever shown any other
living thing.
and I am tired,
weak from the anger –
from the desolate truths
that have bound me.
spent from the years
of concentration on a hate
that was exclusive to you.
and now I am nothing more than
the rubble of a building fallen,
scattered, ruptured, and rebuilding.
what you left behind strives,
continues on, moves forward,
and is getting stronger
from finally giving up on
the hope that you will ever
understand.
the only thing I can give you is my
silence, my protest for what
you have done.
without my noise, maybe you will
drown on it too, maybe you have
been drowning on it all along –
it doesn’t matter for my silence is
whole, complete, and captivating.
my troubles are but vague outlines
in the smoke.
I am healing.
I am becoming me again.
I have no hate.
there is no revenge here,
no hard feelings,
and I don’t need you anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment