Sunday, December 8, 2013

lie to the damaged

I wish I could say
something nice about her.
after all these years,
the only thing that comes to mind
is the way she giggled when I
tickled her.
everything else was contrived,
a made up person that tried too
hard to be hard –
like she had seen life by the
time she was twenty.
she hadn't.
I really hadn't either.
we were both a little stupid.
but the way she giggled was
like a child and it made me
happy just to hear it.
a free laugh where nothing else
came into play ...
no hard feelings,
no mistakes,
no being hard 
for the sake of
being hard.
after five years of being together,
that is the only thing I remember
that I chose not to forget,
the only endearing quality
to someone who lied 
for the sake of lying.
everything else was venom.
she would do whatever she could
to inflict hurt
she lied about cheating
she lied about the abortions
she lied about love and
life and
whatever future
we might have had.
but when all the memories are spent,
I'm still here
and she is not
and really,
that is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment