Tuesday, January 28, 2014

my first flower

there was a small flower
that popped up
one spring
in an open lot
beside our house.

on the way to school
every day, I looked at it as I passed.
it was yellow
like a bad liver,
and it had a spot on one of its petals
wear a bug had taken
a bite.

I watched as it grew.
it faced the sun
every morning
on my way
to school.
it turned downward
every day
on my way back home.

the dirt around it was hard
and sometimes
I would bring it
water
so it could live a
better life.

one morning,
as I passed,
the flower was
bent down,
crushed in
the dirt.
there was a footprint
where it had stood
proud
with a single
bite
taken out of
a yellow petal.

I tried to lift it up,
but it wouldn't stand.

I braced it against
a twig,
but it was already
too late.

someone had come
by, and without
a sound,
crushed my
liver spot
flower
into the
ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment