Monday, January 6, 2014

banana

I've seen her grow,
watched her as she
evolves into a woman.
I've been lucky enough
to see the awkward
moments and silly smiles.
I answer as many questions
as she can give me.
she's not old enough
for the angry teenage
years. she's just under that.
and it makes me happy to know
she may miss it entirely, she
may always look at us differently,
as a reprieve from the outside world.
she's still oblivious to most things
and that's good. it's not healthy to
grow up too quickly. I based a character
in one of my books on her - the little girl
who has to fight the dead.
it makes me happy to think she'll always
be the same girl
in those pages. she'll never
have to grow up, deal with
gross boys
and find out
what life is really about
in those pages.
she laughs like a maniac
and she's lazy,
but it's still funny to watch.
she plays games on her phone
and has a lot of friends,
but she doesn't have to
worry about taxes and
car payments just yet.
she doesn't have to worry
about growing up,
about conforming,
about finding
herself
just yet.
and there's something
beautiful about that.
don't pick on kids for
being kids. that's exactly what
they're supposed to be.
don't let them learn too fast.
don't let them become what
we are.
don't let them be
troubled with the world just
yet.
there's plenty of time for that
when they grow up and become
jaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment