Saturday, January 4, 2014

honey sun

the best times of my life were
filled with light. maybe my vision
was clearer. maybe life was
more vivid then. but I remember
it being so bright, everything
washed in light - clear and concise,
the world dipped in honey and 
saturated in sun.
chasing the dog out back behind
the house where there was a trail
that led to the dock past large maple
trees and through locks of wild
strawberries to the edge of the woods
where it was dark but still dipped in
honey. and playing in the grass beside 
the house,
looking down
at the shards of
razor that flicked upon the
waves and lapped
at the cattails and lily pads 
and green reeds from the swamp 
that surrounded the lake.
the rows of raspberry bushes
that surrounded the garden.
the coil of rhubarb that kept
growing year after year no matter
how my grandpa tried to get rid of it.
the small shed beneath the aspen trees
that were grown together where I
always imagined a tree house
one day.
the bicycle in the shed,
and the smell of freshly cut wood
coming from the garage where my 
grandpa worked.
and the dragonflies that swooped
down from the sky in droves, catching the
mosquitoes that had just hatched.
and the dog licking my face as we played
in the grass
on a spring day
when innocence 
was so 

new.

No comments:

Post a Comment