Tuesday, February 25, 2014

show them pearly whites

I practiced smiling yesterday.
my cheeks hurt.
I caught a case of dry mouth,
but my eyes watered for some
strange reason.

today I am going to put forth
more effort.

I want to be like everyone else
I see smiling for no reason.
Just hanging around at random
places with gleaming teeth
and burning cheeks.

maybe if I fake it I can
get in on some of those
positive vibes I hear so
much about.

I might try using a mirror
to see if my reflection best
encapsulates a general mood
of happiness.

I was at an amusement park on
Sunday and watched a tiny bird
make its way across
the railing of a planter.
it bounced expectantly as
I ate popcorn.
it looked at the bag
and then at me
and then at the bag again.
I broke off a small piece
and tossed it to the little bird.
its head bobbed up and down.
everyone else was speeding by.
and out of those hundreds of people,
I was the only one to notice the bird.
I kept throwing small pieces toward it
and it greedily ate them up.

then the exit line from the ride
I was standing near opened up and a flood
of people began to exit, and the little bird
flew off toward the trees.

"where were you?" my
wife asked.

"standing over there, eating
popcorn," I said with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment