Friday, February 14, 2014

Be Mine

I bought her a flower last week.

I bring her candy every day.

I tell her I love her when the emotion swells
and threatens to burst from my chest.

I see the future in her eyes every time
she whispers my name.

If I only paid attention to our love on one particular
day, I would have to evaluate that love to make
sure it was real.

February 14th is the only day
I cannot bring myself to
purchase flowers
or
candy
or
engage in
fine dinning.

If there was ever a need
for a day to show my feelings
toward the one I chose,
my love would be a failure.

So I will
tell her how much I
care
tomorrow
because today
is false.
It shatters true love.
It is an indignant day
of lies that I cannot abide.
Tomorrow, I will love again,
but not today, not in the way
I'm expected to
through a made up
presentation of
flowers and sweets.

Love is too special for that,
and I cannot use its
name in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment