Monday, September 29, 2014

haunted within

the stairs creak
at the same time
every night

the sound of
footsteps
sweep across
dry floorboards

and the whisper
call of mist
comes from beyond
my door
just as i'm about
to nod off

i can feel
the fingers
touching me
in my sleep

and the hairs
at the back
of my neck
stand true
when the
temperature drops
and the air grows
stale

the steam from
the shower
outlines those
who watch me

i'm never alone

a face stares
from around the
kitchen wall
and vanishes
once i change
my gaze

i hear
soft scratches
from under the floor
and i feel nauseous
when the cold hand
touches my shoulder
from beyond

the cabinets
are always open
when i return home
and the lights
never seem to
stay on

but when i weep
the house weeps with me

and at least
i am never alone

No comments:

Post a Comment