Sunday, March 2, 2014

the life is within the threads

i found an old shirt in the alley.
i wear it all the time
it is one of my favorite shirts to wear
when i need to wear a shirt.
any adventure that needs to be had,
i am clad in my simple shirt.
i don't look to it as if i own it.
and someday before it is too worn,
i might toss it into an alley
where someone else can find it
along with all the adventures it promises.
in fact, all of my clothes are this way.
i never buy anything new.
i need the implied history
that comes with
old clothes.
i've been doing it for as long as i can remember.

then one day i bought a brand new shirt
right off the rack.
there were no implications.
it had never been anywhere but with me.
everything it had ever seen
was from my back.
one day it became too thin to wear.
the slightest touch would make it tear.
and it was too worn to hand away.
all it had ever known was me
and that made me a little sad
so i've never bought a new shirt again.
some things need more life than
i can afford them.

i found an old shirt on a park bench
and slipped it over my shoulders.
i can't imagine all the things we will see.
and before it becomes too worn,
i'll give it away
because not everything
was made just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment