Saturday, November 30, 2013

shit luck

I sometimes wonder
if there’s any luck at all,
or if people inherit it from
long lost Uncles and Aunts
on their way out.
a large portion of life is luck
luck of the draw
luck of the game
lucky number seven
I haven’t seen any of it
just the small portion that
keeps me breathing.

If I had it, I wouldn’t know what to do
with it anyway. I suspect it’s hard keeping
all that luck in line. the effort must be back
breaking.

But I still wonder what it’d be like to
wake up in the morning and not have to
wait for the shit to hit me on the chin.

I’ll take a walk and step in a pile of crap.
bend over and throw my back out. find five
bucks in the street and get hit by a car. tie my
laces and cut my finger on the thread. it’ll get
infected and I’ll try to smile.

I suppose there’re others like me. I see them on the
street every day like flies on rotten fruit, shooting
up with dirty needles and begging for change on the
off-ramp.


. . . maybe there’s a little luck after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment