Friday, November 29, 2013

gone

he used to sit out in front of
the liquor store every day
with his dog.
there was always a dish in front of
the dog where people that walked
by could make donations.
   I gave some cans of dog food
   sometimes and cash other times
   I knew if I gave cash, he would
   buy something to drink
   what would it matter?
   let him drink if he needed
   to.
some guys stole his tent and some
supplies from the river bottom where
he made camp - he had an extra tent
hidden, and the supplies he could replace
   it was cold that winter. Not
   a miserable cold, but damaging
   enough to get sick.
 He did get sick
     sick enough to die.
A few days later, I saw his dog
out in front of the liquor store
with his bowl placed in front of him.
 
   we exchanged glances

there was a can of food in the bowl,
but he didn't have an opener.
I wondered who would do that,
who would donate a can of
unopened food to a lonely dog?

I popped off the lid and poured the
food into the dog's bowl and he gave
and excited wag of his tail.
he had a head as big around as
my torso and he lapped up the food
quickly.
I expected to see the old homeless man
come around the corner any moment,
but he never did.
after that day, I never saw the dog again either.
but the bowl is in the brush
behind the liquor store.
it's been there a long time,
longer than it had any right to.

No comments:

Post a Comment