Sunday, May 3, 2015

Taking out the Trash.

I'm a Disney fan.
As anti-establishment
as I can get, I still love
the illusion of Disney.
When I see the smiling faces,
the hordes of people,
the friendly dispositions,
it makes me feel as if
there is some hope left
for the the rest
of the world.
If we can leave our baggage
at the gates
and get caught up in the illusory
Magic
The Happiest Place on Earth
can provide,
then we are capable of
dropping our baggage
at any point
and looking at our
everyday issues
with the same exuberance.

My wife and I met
an older Gentleman that had been
working at the park
since old Walt was around.
As we were leaning up against a fence
enjoying some frozen lemonade,
he approached us, reached up,
and pulled down a branch
on an African Lily and picked
a flower.
He then explained the flower and
the various types around
the park before handing the flower
to my wife and saying,
"I thought you should have this."
Needless to say,
it made my wife's day,
and I was taken aback by
the man's manners and knowledge.

The older gentleman then proceed
to defuse an argument within
a group of park goers who were
arguing about whether they should wait in line
for a particular ride. After the man spoke his mind,
various heads in the group
began to nod in agreement,
and suddenly there were smiles
all around.
I couldn't help but smile too.
I winked at the man and he smiled knowingly
before going back to his work
of picking up litter with his little
dustpan and broom.

And I thought to myself,
there are just some people who are
better equipped at sorting the debris
and smiling when it is all cleaned up.

Wouldn't it be wonderful
if all of us could take
a few minutes out of our day
to pick through the litter
of life,
and lend a helping hand
to those who are trying
to take out the garbage?

No comments:

Post a Comment