Monday, November 16, 2015

Common Core

So much is left unexplained.
Science tiptoes through the
unknown only to wipe away
a small clearing on the mirror
that reflects our own images.
Under it all there is still only
insight, a tiny reflection where
we are staring into our own eyes.

We try to believe that those who
would do us harm only need to
see things from our perspective
to become right with the world.
As if we have all the answers
to the riddles that plague humanity.
Through us and our understanding,
all will be well again. No more
fussing and fighting, no more pain
and intolerance. No more undue
death in the name of some lesser
perspective.

But the problem remains: no one
has the answers for those that are
looking for a cause to back and
support with all their being.

It is simple. We are looking for a
purpose. Something that sets us apart
from the rest, something great that we
can  look back upon fondly. As if we
have made a difference with our lives.

So we get caught up in doctrine to unravel
the mysteries of the universe to give some
truth to the world in which we live. We
follow those philosophies to the ends of
the Earth without question, without faltering,
no matter the consequences. We try to
upend society to better fit the principles we
believe in even if those principles do not
fit the values of others.

And then we insight conflict if our principles
are not met. We will plow through anything
that gets in our way just to prove our point.

I have always believed that it is our education
that sets us apart from the rest, allows us to see
clearly through broken history how best to not
react to a particular situation. But when we have
religions and governments banning certain types
of learning, we begin to fail. We again lean
toward old doctrines that are allowed rather that
understandings that are true.

The one question I have asked myself when faced
with any trial is, 'Does this decision harm anyone
around me?' If it does, I move on to something else,
a better answer to the questions I face. If at any point
my decision disrupts the healthy freedoms of another,
I take another looks until my question is resolved.

One of the biggest problems we have in this life is
the lack of sympathy. No one seems to want to look
at life in any other format than their own. They simply
can not relate. It is that relation to one another that
keeps us whole.

(I could play my music loudly and get enjoyment for
myself, but how will that impact the people around me
that may not like the type of music I enjoy?)

(I could let my children out to scream around the
neighborhood, effectively giving me free, quiet time,
but how would that impact my neighbors?)

We are all on a path to personal realization,
and not everyone is at the same place. So
when we take another look at the people around
us, we have to look at their situations, and the
impact our decisions make on their lives.

Or we could just sit here spinning our tires,
hoping to somehow get a little traction.





No comments:

Post a Comment